Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Today's Work Station: Flat Black Coffee Company


Today I hoped to get some blog writing, fiction writing, and article writing (high hopes) done at the Flat Black Coffee Company in Boston's financial district. I had never been there before but it had good reviews on Yelp and I thought I'd give it a try and get a good walk in since it's about a mile from our apartment. I was a little confused by it because the company's website does not include a café menu or list the locations (of which there are a few) and I found that odd.

There are, apparently, two locations in the financial district and I was aiming to go to the one on Broad Street. I ended up at the one on Franklin Street, at least I think. That's partly due to the fact that I hate following directions on my phone while I walk and partly because Google Maps does not seem to acknowledge the other location. Needless to say, I got lost like crazy. I walked all over the place in roundabout ways and covered far more ground than necessary. And I even found and passed another coffee shop that's on my list to discover. I was tempted to go in but I figured I might as well stick to the original plan, even if it was the wrong location.

So here I am and by the time I got here I was sweaty and a little rain soaked. I could feel half of my sock coming off my foot in my boot. My straightened hair got a weird crimp from the moisture. And I think I smelled, shortly after I sat down, the guy sitting next to me packed up and left. Now the guy sitting on the same bench as me is as far down the bench as he can be he's almost falling off.

The location was fine but not like a cozy coffee shop; one entire wall of big windows so you can see all the buildings and pedestrians milling by. There is not an abundance of seating but it's pretty empty and I had no trouble getting a table at 8 am. They seem to have a lot of coffee and tea options but their baked goods don't look to be fresh.

I ordered a dark roast black coffee, my go-to tester to see the quality of the coffee. I also put cinnamon in it because why not? I didn't find it to be that great of a cup of coffee but the place has a really good reputation and if I go back, I'll spring for an almond milk latte. I definitely want to find the other location still!

I ended up leaving after about an hour or so because I have a hard time writing when I feel like people are staring at my screen and that feeling kept coming up. It was too distracting to get any work done so now I am comfortably back in my apartment, writing from the kitchen table looking out over the Common as we April showers pour down.

Happy Tuesday, all! I have a feeling this is going to continue to be a great week.

No comments :

Post a Comment