Saturday, July 12, 2014

Saturday Morning and the Times


I like to start my Saturday mornings with two of my favorite things, coffee and the New York Times Book Review. It feels like a little treat, a little ritual to begin the weekend. This morning, I woke up around 7, ate a quick breakfast, got a work out in, and then settled at the kitchen table with hot coffee and the Book Review.

Some days are better than others as far as the articles go but this morning was a pretty good one! I always have my phone nearby with my Notes open in case there's a book I want to add to the ongoing list I keep there of books I want to read.

Today I only added one book to that list. A book called Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead was reviewed by Jennifer B. McDonald. The book is about a New York ballerina who will soon be ending her career. The novel seems to focus on a number of different relationships as well as artistic need. Interestingly, the author does not have experience as a dancer but the professional world of ballet is such a small one, that in order to read good fiction about it, it sometimes needs to be written by outsiders. And I like to see how writers write about a world in which they are not experienced because it is something I hope to do.

The book is now on my list although not at the top. The review does not make it seem like a must-read but I love and miss ballet and dance in general (I danced for a good 15 years before stopping) so it might be fun and nostalgic to pick this up sometime.

How do you start your Saturday mornings?

No comments :

Post a Comment