Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Sometimes I Babysit At The Beach


I've been babysitting for close to 10 years now. I enjoy the job because I find playing with kids to be fun! There's a lot you can do with them and most of the time, it does not feel like work. I'm so lucky that I found a great family to babysit for out here, although, with them we don't call it babysitting. The girls are older, 11 and 9, and don't need a babysitter as much as a play pal and chauffeur, so we call it hanging out. Living and babysitting in a beach town has many perks and yesterday we took advantage of them!

I picked the girls up at their house to take them to breakfast at this cute little bakery on the main road in Westport. I had a delicious fruit cup and the girls got croissants, almond and chocolate. We sat at a table outside for a while and then decided it was time to go to the beach.


We set up camp near the water, covered ourselves in sun screen, and got into the water as quickly as possible. It was freezing, but the girls were brave and ducked their heads under right away and I'd been wanting to get into that salt water for a while now. We played in the water for a good chunk of time and the girls practiced their swimming before we headed back to the towels, laid in the sun, and ate our way through half a bag of baby carrots.

One of my favorite parts of this job is that the girls are so chatty and mature so we can hold long, adult conversations and I really enjoy that. They're smart girls with good, kind, and attentive parents and you can really tell how well they are being raised.

The girls got hungry after a while so we walked to the other end of the beach to the little food place that's there. It is crazy expensive, especially for beach food, but since it's the only place to buy food at the beach, they can charge whatever they want and people will buy it! The girls got fries, ate some, and decided it was time to hit the water again.


We walked all the way down the length of the beach where there were hardly any people because the tide was out and the girls could walk out far and the water was still really shallow and warm. I was on left-over french fry duty, carrying them and protecting them from seagulls. The girls walked through the water all the way back to the other end, where our towels were, and I walked along the shore line, waving at them and watching them have a blast!


I didn't even sneak one fry! We stayed at the beach as long as we could but had to be home in time for their next babysitter to take over watching them. I have so much fun with these girls and I'm glad it's my summer job for the next few weeks until school starts. The back seat of my car is now filled with sand but that's what summer is about!

No comments :

Post a Comment