Monday, June 23, 2014

Hiking at Devil's Den


On Friday, we had beautiful weather. The sun was out but there was a cool breeze. AJ and I have been wanting to go to Devil's Den in Weston to hike for months now and I can't believe we finally got around to it. We had high expectations and planned to walk miles and miles and miles.


We did walk miles, but maybe not as many as we had hoped. The trails themselves were fun and not difficult which is good because we are not experienced hikers. There were rocks to climb over, hills to scale, and fallen tree limbs to dodge. There were also plenty of bridges and logs to walk across small streams and make it feel like a real adventure. 


 We had a lot of fun, but it got hot and buggy fast. This photo was taken at the very beginning and I did not look like that upon the end of our hike. The bugs were relentless and kind of put a damper on the hike. We were not thinking of that and I didn't plan for it so we didn't bring bug spray. We won't make that mistake again.

It was so beautiful and really fun, especially because it's something new for us! We want to do it again but we have to remember buy spray next time. I'm covered in bites! AJ took this photo from a bridge we were on, it reminds me of Pocahontas. 


Here's a photo to prove AJ was there! This, too, was taken early in our walk. By the end, we were gross, sweaty, covered in bugs, and hangry (hungry-angry). I had to ask AJ if we could turn around and head back because the route we were on was too long and I didn't want to deal with more flies. 


We really do want to go back, though! But we have to bring bug spray. I also want to try other hiking trails in Pound Ridge and where ever else we can go!


Once we got home and got a little something in our stomachs, I fell asleep while AJ watched soccer. We continued our day of being outside by getting take-out salads and eating them at Compo Beach. I love taking advantage of the gorgeous weather this summer is giving us. 

2 comments :

  1. I love hiking, but you're right about being prepared! Bugs are the worst, and apparently they really love me. I do hope you give it another go soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely want to give it another try :)

      Delete