Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Work Station at Home


A few weeks ago, I wrote about forming writing habits and the different types of work stations that people use. Since I am home in Connecticut for the summer, I am back to using my desk in my bedroom for most writing tasks.

My desk really only functions as a surface because it has no drawers and is an open top desk but I never open it—my room is kinda crowded so the less space it takes up, the better! My desk always looks the same. I keep my laptop in or on it's case. I keep at least one or two notebooks where I plan out writing schedules or daily tasks. My purple day calendar, a cup of coffee, a glass of water, pens and pencils, and the book A Reader's Book of Days by Tom Nissley are always at hand.

It's a crowded space and I can really only do one thing at a time, which might be a good thing. When I work here, I turn off the over head light in my room and use a standing lamp. The area is kind of dark but I prefer this kind of lighting than the bright over head. In the summer, I'll open one of my bedroom windows to get a light breeze. It also helps me feel less guilty about being closed up in my bedroom on a beautiful summer day like today!

While I feel comfortable writing here, facing my wall, I do hope to get myself out of my comfort zone when it comes to writing. In the post I mentioned above, I wrote about an author who can write anywhere and anytime. I feel like I struggle with that. I can't write from a couch because it feels too casual and unfocused. I get distracted if I'm writing in the same room where people are doing other things. If I don't start writing in the morning, I feel like I can't get into the groove later in the day.

Some writers are similar to me in that they have a specific schedule and setting for writing because their lifestyle is conducive to that and that is great! I would like to be able to adapt to any setting and be able to crank out words regardless of time and place because I feel like that would be better for my lifestyle. I live in a sometimes crazy household; I live with my wonderful mother, my jokester grandfather, and a few pets. My sisters are in and out from their own nearby apartments and cousins stop by because we have a very open door policy! That's why I feel I need to adapt to anything. I'm far from an established writer and I can't be picky about how and when I write. I just need to write!

What do you guys think? Can you write anywhere or do you need certain things to fall into place? Any tips for learning to write anywhere?

No comments :

Post a Comment